Sunday, February 21, 2010

Celebrating Whitney's 9th Birthday






Once again, Whitney opted to do something fun with ONE friend and forgo the traditional birthday party. The idea THRILLED me, as it is cheaper and much easier. She also said she couldn't think of anything for John and I to get her for her birthday "since we JUST had Christmas"....so, John and I discussed it and decided to do a hotel night as her gift! Whitney was elated and thought the gift idea was great. She wanted to take her friend, Ella, to The American Girl Store to shop and to eat at the Bistro. Bee and Grandpa sent her money for her birthday to spend (she spent EVERY penny of it at the store). She bought a new outfit for her doll, she bought glasses and paid to have her ears pierced and her hair done! Her doll, Katie, got a good deal for Whitney's birthday. I did not know that there was a national cheer competition in Dallas this weekend, and I have never seen so much hair and ribbons and make-up! WHOA! Our hotel was sold out and 99% of the guests were cheerleaders! We went to the Galleria to ice-skate, but couldn't do it because of the crowd. The line to rent skates probably had 50 people in it. The girls were so great about it. We sat and ate the cookie cake that I had ordered earlier in the week and we watched the skaters. The girls enjoyed the swans at our hotel and I think that they felt big at the buffet breakfast this morning as they ordered their food! They enjoyed watching TV in their room and sleeping in the king-sized bed. Bryan was with us and we improvised and had a great set up in our part of the suite. Bryan was perfect while we were gone. He got lots of attention. When the crowd was watching the Swans at the hotel, a group of people gathered around Bryan to admire him...it was so funny! The girls were so good, and did so well with waiting FOREVER at the American Girl store and with the disappointment of not getting to skate. I was so proud of them and their great attitudes. Ella bought Whitney a bag of gifts from her favorite store, Justice. She got some new t-shirts, a journal and a book that teaches you how to draw fun pictures. I heard Whitney (more than once) say "this is the BEST day of my life!" She was smiling and laughing the whole time. It was a great time together....Happy Birthday Sweet Whitney....nine years old....that is really 1/2 of your time at home! Isn't that sad to think???

2 comments:

Callicott Family said...

Looks like a great birthday. Happy Birthday, Whitney!

The Gillaspie Family said...

How fun!! We've never been to the AG store...I'm trying to hold off as long as possible... :)