Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New School and RIDING THE BUS!


Blayne and Whitney have changed schools with our move. Our new school is brand new, which is different from the school where we previously attended, our beloved Florence. God has paved the way in all of this. Had we stayed in Keller, we would have been at a different elementary school next year, anyway, so there would have been a change for our family. Our new school is beautiful and the people have seemed friendly so far. It has been an adjustment for Whitney because the classrooms are set up for cooperative learning, and not the traditional "be quiet and get your work done" setting that she is used to. There is a lot of hands-on activity and a lot of NOISE! I think that once she embraces this new learning style, she will LOVE it as it fits her personality, but it is a drastic change from her previous environment. Her teacher is a seasoned teacher and is sensitive to all of this transition. There were tears, but she is making the best of everything as she usually does! I was contacted after the first three days and was told that they want to test her for Gifted and Talented. She is standing out as a bright shining star, as she has in the past, but it is different being in a new place. When asked "Whitney where were you in your previous school in Social Studies (state adopted book, so they are all using the same textbook)?" Her response "well, we were a chapter ahead of where you guys are..." then she preceded to give an outline of the next chapter including important dates, names and facts....THAT was probably the day that I received the e-mail about GT. I don't think that the teacher will be asking her anymore questions like that!

Blayne hasn't missed a beat. No complaints, no tears, no negative comments. He is just excited that they let you eat breakfast at school for a dollar if you want! (he didn't realize that was an option at the old school). He likes that they go to lunch and then out to recess for a long time. He told me that he has a friend with "ponytails"...I was picturing hair put up in ponytails like Whitney and was wondering if this was a weird child with parents that won't cut his hair...after many discussions about this favorite friend, I asked if he had brown skin...the reply "nope he has black skin"...so those aren't actually PONYTAILS, they are braids plaided neatly to his head! Whew...what relief. Blayne got another young teacher...you know that is all that he has experienced in his young school career. She seems very sweet. He has homework every night and never complains. He is reading chapter books at night just like the girls do and begs to finish the page before lights out....I am so thankful because I feared he would not love reading like his sisters to.
Well, sorry to make this so long. I will go add the pictures, that is what you REALLY want to see anyway! I haven't taken the embarrassing first day of school pictures with their teachers, YET. I will, just give me time. It would have been awkward on that random Wednesday when they started school.




Oh, and they RIDE THE BUS!!!! It has been wonderful. We are still transporting Savannah to her old school, but I sure am enjoying the others riding the bus. I didn't realize how much less stressful the morning is when I don't have to get everyone out of the house and to school to drop kids off! The bus has been an easy transition until yesterday...Writing TAKS Day...it was really chilly so I had them wait a few extra minutes to go our because the day before we waited for 15 minutes...oopsie, Whitney when out and saw the bus as it was rounding the corner, leaving the bus stop!!! She turned back in tears. Never fear...Daddy will take you! Tears wiped, prayers lifted for a good testing day for her and Savannah and off they went! Not the way, that I wanted her day to start. This is a picture of them riding the bus the first day. Their driver is a very nice lady that is always dressed nice and put together...not what I was picturing for a school bus drive at all! Thankful for the school bus and nice driver.

1 comments:

Rhonda said...

So glad to hear they are transitioning well. And we have much love for the bus as well. The first few days it was wierd combination of feeling free and alone at the same time. I have adjusted:) So glad to see the fruit of your lives coming forth!