Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Carolyn Update


***I do know that she has been extubated and is on room air and breathing on her own, but not fully responsive, yet.


I wanted to get some detailed info out before I went back to relieve Kelly for the evening tonight.

* Carolyn still is overall unresponsive and seems to be maintaining a fever of 101+. She began responding to painful stimuli on fingers/toes this afternoon. Opened her eyes briefly (a couple seconds) a few times today. This is good news, although she is still not responding to our voice.
* No more seizures since 3PM Sunday afternoon. This is very good news!!
* EEG today came back looking normal. No sign of continued seizures. Again, very good news although no indication of what caused the seizures.
* MRI being performed tonight (Tuesday nite). No results yet.
* She began to get agitated at the ventilator and suction today. As the day progressed, her agitation/choking/gagging increased. From the beginning her arms have been restrained to the bed to protect her from pulling her tubes out which I'm sure further agitates her (it would me!). This agitation is good news (but hard to watch) as it hopefully will stimulate her to wake up.
* They reduced her dependency on the respirator today from "full" to "half" to "support", meaning the respirator only breaths for her if it detects a specific duration of time without an inhalation. This too is very good news!!
* They are still trying to determine if the "loading" of anti-seizure meds has caused this overall unresponsiveness or whether the fever is an indication of something else going on inside our little Carolyn. If it's the meds, she should come out of it soon.
* They will keep her in ICU until she is awake and able to tell them to take the vent tube out.
* Next milestones: fever breaking, mri results conclusive, waking up!!
* Please continue to pray for wisdom for the doctors and for Kelly and me.

More to come when I get a few minutes to write more. I sincerely apologize to those couple of you who went to Cook Children's in Ft. Worth. We're at Children's Hospital in Dallas.

Thank you so much for all your prayers, visits, support, calls, emails, colorful drawings, cards, gifts, food, etc. Kelly and I have been truly overwhelmed with your love for Carolyn and our family!! And all to the glory of our God!

Trusting in our glorious Savior,
Dale and Kelly

0 comments: