Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Visit with Libby



THESE ABOVE PICTURES ARE FROM TWO WEEKS AGO ABOUT THE TIME THAT LIBBY GOT RELEASED. SHE WAS DOING SO GOOD, SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND HOW IT IS EVEN MORE DEVASTATING THAT SHE HAS HAD SETBACKS AND IT FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE. CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR THIS AMAZING GIRL!!!
Yesterday, I got up at 4:30 AM and headed to Dallas to catch a 6:30 flight to Houston. I got to Houston by 7:30, caught a Super Shuttle to Texas Children's Hospital and off I went to see Libby, Gracie and Eric. As I was waiting for the shuttle, I met a lady from New Orleans. She was catching my same shuttle to go to MD Anderson. Sh was an older lady with beautiful white hair. She told me that she had been in remission from Stage IV cancer for two years and that she was there for her annual check-up. Those that know me know that I enjoy talking to people, so we visited about cancer and her highs and lows through treatment. She was a real delight to talk to, and she had a THICK Nawlens accent! When I got to the hospital, I text paged Gracie "ready or not, here I come!" I then went to the CCICU waiting room and called Libby's room. Gracie came down a few minutes later. She looked tired and unkempt...not the "normal" Gracie, but her smile got huge as she entered the room and we embraced in one of those BIG hugs that oozes through your body! We went up to see Libby, and there was a doctor in the room, so I scooted out so that Gracie and Eric could speak with him. Soon, Eric came to get me, and he went down to take a shower and I got to got see Lib. She was resting peacefully with an unimaginable amount of tubes and wires coming from her body. Although it was tough to see her back in the hospital all hooked up to medications, breathing machine, pumps and drains, she looked like my sweet Libby with her hair pulled back and a sweet pleasant look on her face. I approached her and Gracie said "Ms. Jeffer" is here. Libby opened her eyes and looked my way and mouthed "Hi" with the ventilator in her mouth! It was a sweet moment. She knew I was there and she responded to me a few more times throughout the day and it just melted my heart. I rubbed her sweet hand, brushed her wispy hair away from her brow and talked to her about my kids, especially Reagan whom she adores! She seemed to be listening. There were several visits from the staff yesterday. Physical therapy came and exercised her body. She did NOT like that! She mouthed "no!!" and "Stop it!!!" several times with a scowl her face! It looked like it hurt. The respiratory therapist came in a few times during the day and suctioned her vent tubing and her mouth. Gracie lovingly called him "The Respiratory Terrorist". I got to hold Libby's hand when she got suctioned a couple of the times. It was hard to watch. She would be peacefully sleeping and they would UNHOOK the ventilator and she would opened her eyes and look a bit panicked and they would stick a tube inside the ventilator tube and suction, which would make her cough. They would vacuum out the "gunk" and they would hook everything back up. She would settle back down and go back to sleep. She is on heavy narcotics, so it is amazing to me that she has those coherent moments at all. She is so sweet and just settles right down during the times of treatment. Tears would stream down the sides of her face as they would work with her. You know that it hurt or atleast was making her uncomfortable. Gracie is a ROCK. She would just talk to Libby about how the nurses and docs were helping her and that they want he better and she would rub her hand and comfort her...I guess you can hold it together and do it when you have to, but I just don't know if I would have the strength. Libby's hands were really dry, so I got to put lotion on them. It felt so good to smell the Baby Magic and feel her soft toddler hands in mine. I told her that I love her and I want her to get better so "Reagie" as she calls her can chase her around the house and pull her long hair! I had the privilege of spending most of the day at her bedside with Eric and Gracie one or both being there. Libby had an awesome nurse who let me (which made 3 in the room) stay even though the "rule" is two. She was so sweet to allow me to be in there and not make me stay downstairs. She kept telling me that it was fine for me to stay.
Oh, it just crushes me to see what they are going through first hand. They got to take her home....and then now she is here, and it is scary. Gracie told me she feels like she is "dodging bullets". It seems like they get hit with something new everyday. Gracie and I did leave for lunch. She treated me to a wonderful lunch at Houstons. We enjoyed our time together. It was a gorgeous day. She doesn't leave the hospital much, so I think that was good for her.

I feel very honored that I got to go yesterday to Houston and spend the day with Libby in person. It is so hard to be here and to feel like I can't help them...well, besides keeping the boys. I just want to make this all easier on them, and I can't. I can't imagine what they are feeling.

I will post next about my ride/flight home.

0 comments: