Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ride home and flight

Two stories.

I talked to a sweet couple in the shuttle on the way home. They were going back home fom MD Anderson. The man had a follow up check up to learn that they had gotten all of his cancer and that it had not spread anywhere and he would NOT need chemo or radiation. He was so cute calling "Martha" "Edna" and asking his wife who else he needed to call because the cell phone didn't have much "juice"! I congratulated him on his good news. I also met a girl that was there that had gone to a meeting at Rice University. She does studies about Saturn! I was so proud that I knew those people were called "astrologists" so I said are you an "astrogolist". Her reply was to tell me that she is actually a physicist. Hmmm...missed that one.

At the airport, I was sitting right in front of the counter when a man took a phone call. I couldn't help but notice and then I heard him say "where are you? what kind of gun, a hand gun or a rifle? It should be near the trigger, it will be a switch" "get somewhere, hide, be quiet, don't shoot unless you have to" Well, I was about to come unglued. I, mean, I could pretty much tell what was happening, but I didn't know who was on the other line, was it his wife, his daughter??? Then he lost the call and was saying "hello...hello..." He called another person and I could hear him sayind "someone is in the house right now, and she has a gun and she didn't even know how to get the safety off....she has called the police, but can you go over there?" Then he quickly got off, and took another call he said "he's coming. don't come out until you know it is the police or ____, didn't get the name" Then he took another call and he was saying "you are there, is she okay...." So, I couldn't stand it, I had to ask....he was so gracious and told me the whole story. His co-worker (32 yrs old woman) called him hysterical. She had come home to her "M" streets house in Dallas, opened up her gated driveway and before it closed, someone had quickly pulled in behind her. She ran into the house, locked the door, got a gun and hid. When she was talking to this guy, she had called 911, but the person was breaking in. He could hear glass shattering. She was so scared. She had the gun, but didn't know how to turn the safety off so she called the guy. He called one of their other co-workers who went to the house. The police were there and she was safe. He didn't know if they caught the guy or not. Man, it was just like a movie or something! I told the guy that if I were ever in a sitauation like that, I would want HIM to be the person I was on the phone with. He was so calm!

0 comments: